Sunday, June 29, 2008

El Partido del Siglo XXI!

Gotta be honest, pretty damn excited for the upcoming Spain v. Germany game at 2045 tonight. We're probably gonna head to Sol or Colón for the game. It should be quite crazy.

This morning we got up and went to the Rastro, a long flea market of about 2 metro stops in which you experience all Spain has to offer...the pickpocketing, the bumper car pedestrians. Oh, and cheap stands with people yelling at you. It´s actually a lot of fun and there´s some cool stuff to see. I was tempted by a pair of 6 euro aviators but held back. The Jew in me.

Danny and I ended up walking to Retiro to see a band and just chill. First of course, being in Spain and doing as the Spanish do, we went to McDonalds! A guy right next to us waiting in line was clearly American and couldn´t speak Spanish to the cashier, so we helped him. Damn it felt good to be a gangsta.

When we were walking in the parque, Danny ran into a soothsayer, literally a palm reader. She started giving us olive branches and telling us about our palms and then gave Danny the full run down. I mean everything. His life, his kids, his job, his death...all that creepy Ides of March bs. And low and behold, as she continued to ramble quickly in Spanish, we both heard her say something along the lines of ¨Okay, now you give me 20 for each hand¨. That´s the double take moment....20 euros for each hand? She must be kidding. No, she wasn´t. So Danny, the brilliant New Yorker he is (he´s gonna kill me for telling this one), pulls out his wallet to show her that he only has 10 euros on him...to which she of course says ¨Okay that´s fine¨. She tell turned to me to try to witchcraft swindle me, to which I gave her like 20 cents for the olive branch, and went on my way. She probably cursed me, but hey, curses can´t travel across oceans...can they? I hope I don´t eat those words.

The other night we went to this awesome bar called Cavebar, almost entirely made of Madrilenos. The only Americans were us. When we started dancing and what not, we had these semi'cute spanish girls come up to us and ask if they could practice their english on us. It was kinda ironic, considering I came 3000 miles to speak Spanish, and now I´m ending up teaching English. Cést la vie!

No comments: