Thursday, July 3, 2008

Por el cielo

This morning after our exam, Brent, Whit, Say and I went down to Arguelles to ride the air Gondala thingy over to the outside of Madrid. I must say, it was pretty damn cool. We flew right over Casa de Campo, the fields outside of the Palacio Real and Alcazar and basically saw a very rich in vegetation environment that was the beginning of Madrid. Two days prior we were close to there on the ground at San Antonio de la Florida, a church decorated by Francisco Goya himself, in which he is also enterned there. It was used for parties and social activities in the 19th century outside of the city of Madrid. The fresco built on the techo or roof by Goya depicts the miracles of San Antonio and his adventure to Lisboa from Padua (Italy), where he managed to advocate a legal defense for his murdered father through the assistance of angels. The paintings are both of pastels and paints, and they often change colors abruptly. Of course, not allowed to take pictures. The interesting part is that Goya, instead of painting the ceiling in the eyes of a 13th century San Antonio, incorporated Madrid styles of the 18th century in there too. It only took him 6 months to paint, and he did it on his back much like Michaelangelo and the Sistine Chapel. One of the brilliant parts of his work was that he used a large sombrero type hat fitted with candles so he could work in the evening too. Goya was buried originally in France after fleeing unfair practices of the Inquisition in Spain, but was brought back with his best friend, who of course, is not even mentioned buried with him. I'd hate to be that guy.

I'm probably going to take a nap and then go to the gym, go out tonight. We have an exam early tomorrow (yeah on America's birthday, those pricks). I could care less lol.

I think we added Bryce and TOny to our room in Pamplona, which makes 7 people sharing a room of 2 beds...yeah this should be a doozy. Yeah, I said doozy.

Also, I decided and realized that I've changed the way I look at girls because of my experiences here. Normally a guy will check out a girl with a full body look and smile. I normally, being the voracious stud I am, do the up-down check-out. We're all familiar with this by now. Anyway, when I first came to Madrid, i would see these beautiful women in high heels, great legs and as you'd move up, then you'd see the face, torn and destroyed by years of teenage cigarrette smoke. Now I know you might think I'm being a lil unfair and shallow, but I'm talking about nasty. Think Yellow Barnacles on the bottom of a boat. Yeah, that bad. So now, I start face always. It's been helpful. Hope this helps :)

No comments: